Unless you live in a tree somewhere, your bathroom is probably one of the more important rooms in your home…and also the grimiest. This is nothing to be ashamed of! The constant moisture coming from your shower, the mold growing out of every hard-to-reach nook and cranny, and the products — so many products! — can make the space feel more like a prison than a bathroom.
They’re all a necessary part of life, so why not make bathrooms as clean and efficient as possible? Luckily for you, we have plenty of inventive bathroom hacks that won’t only transform your loo into a paradise, but make it the most popular room in your home.
1. Spice Rack Organizer: If you’re a hair-care enthusiast, then your bathroom is probably overflowing with products. In order to see your counter-top again, nail some spice racks to the wall! They’re an easy and stylish way to organize your products.
2. Hair Dryer Storage: The worst part about hair dryers is how weirdly shaped they are! If storing your dryer is a hassle, simply attach a magazine holder to the inside of your sink cabinet. It’s two weirdly-shaped wrongs making a right!
3. Steaming Success: You have that very important business meeting in an hour and one wrinkly shirt! Instead of burning yourself using an iron, just hang your shirt in your bathroom while the shower is running. Instant steam, and no more wrinkles!
4. DIY Shower Cleaner: After scrubbing your shower for hours with little to no progress, you may be tempted to call Mr. Clean himself for help. Worry not: Get the scrubbing strength of Mr. Clean by attaching a scrub brush to a drill!
5. Tower Rod Upgrade: If your family’s towel usage is growing faster than your single towel rod can handle, it’s time to upgrade. Replace the rod with coat hooks! They’ll keep your towels dry and add some much-needed class to your bathroom.
6. Magnetic Magic: If your bathroom drawer has become a dark abyss filled with who-knows-what, then you should really apply a magnetic strip to your cabinet door. The strip will catch any stray bobby pins and tweezers you thought were long gone!
Darkroom & Dearly
7. Bookshelf Storage: Our bathrooms are filled with weird items that we never really use (three year old bottle of cinnamon flavored mouthwash, anyone?). Putting those items high up on a bookshelf above the door will definitely save some much-needed space.
8. Shaving Cream Hack: If you use your shaving cream infrequently, then you may get an unfortunate surprise the next time you pick the canister up. The metal bottom often leaves rust rings, so keep it turned upside down from now on.
9. DIY Music Amplifier: What’s more boring than a shower without tunes? Amplify your music the easy way by putting your phone over the (DRY) sink drain. Now you can give your shampoo bottles the performance of a lifetime without a speaker!
10. Easy Reading: If you’re allergic to books but still want to read in the tub, slip your e-reader into a Ziploc bag! This way you can catch up on the latest bestseller even if you accidentally drop your e-reader into the suds.
11. Shower Head Hack: There’s nothing worse than looking up during a relaxing rinse and seeing an alien mold species thriving on your shower head. There’s a Ziploc for that! Clean your shower head by soaking it in a bag with distilled vinegar.
12. Shower Curtain Hack: Tired of risking your life every time you step out of the shower and onto the soaked floor? Place your shampoo bottles firmly on the corners of your shower curtain to keep it in place. Say goodbye to slips!
13. Razor Sharpener: Disposable razors are great, but not when you’re looking for a clean close shave. Save a couple bucks by running your dulled razor over denim! This should hone your razor’s blade and give you the close shave you desire.
14. Makeup Madness: If you’re a beauty guru (or someone with a ton of makeup), then your bathroom is probably overflowing with products. Attaching them to a cute magnetic board can make finding your favorite products so much easier.
15. Roll Your Towels: As simple as it sounds, rolling your towels instead of folding them can have numerous benefits. Not only can it save space otherwise taken up by stacks of towels, but it’s so much more aesthetically pleasing!
16. Plastic Wrap Win: Clogged toilet? Completely cover your toilet bowl with plastic wrap and give it a flush. When the plastic wrap bubbles up, firmly press it down — the pressure should send whatever is clogging your toilet on its merry way.
17. Pull-Out Drawer: Make the most of your tiny storage space by installing pull-out drawers! There’s so much you can stack in there — cleaning products, towels, magazines, etc. — that you’ll never run around your home for stray products ever again.
Shelves That Slide
18. Towel Storage: Elevate the way you’re storing towels! You can combine functionality with style by re-purposing old baskets and attaching them to your bathroom wall. Fill them with rolled-up towels or whatever else you want off the floor and on display!
19. Nail Trimming Non-Hack: The last thing you want to do when trimming your nails is accidentally hack them off! Avoid this by trimming your nails right after your shower. Your nails are softer then, and less susceptible to any dangerous hacking.
20. Mirror Makeover: There are some easy ways to take your bathroom from boring to beautiful, and you can start with your mirror. Use molding to frame your bathroom mirror! After all, you are pretty as a picture.
21. Mesh over ceiling cracks: We’ve all got those unsightly cracks, but now there’s an easy fix. Simply tape over the pesky crevice with mesh, plaster over the tape, smooth it out, and paint — voila!
Bathrooms aren’t the only rooms that needed sprucing up. Ugly router got you down? If all those cables and wires are making your living room a mess, try carving out an old book and tucking them away!
2. Cinderblock planters: Cinderblocks may be useful, but they’re definitely not a cute accent piece. For a quick way to spruce up an outdoor space, tuck some peekaboo plants in your cinderblocks to go from “no” to “woah!”
3. Propane tank camouflage: No matter how beautiful your garden is, it could all be ruined by an ill-placed propane tank. Hide that terrible thing under a fake rock and say hello to your new paradise!
4. Hidden laundry baskets: Everyone’s got laundry, but no one likes looking at it. Forget your growing mountains of laundry by tucking your hampers away in some large drawers that say, “I can do this later!”
5. Light switch gallery wall: Nothing ruins a clean wall like an ill-placed light switch. For a fun way to draw focus away from it, make the switch the centerpiece of a gallery wall! That’ll definitely switch things up.
Little Bits Of Home
6. New outlet covers: We often forget about one of the most common fixtures in our houses — outlets. By easily swapping an outdated cover for a nicer one, you’re on your way to transforming the entire room.
7. Birdbath that septic vent: If you’ve got a septic vent in your yard, you’re probably tired of looking at it. The solution is simple: grab a birdbath and plop it right over that vent to say “goodbye turds” and “hello birds!”
8. Chalkboard paint in the garage: If you think a garage can’t be both functional and adorable, think again! With a little chalkboard paint, you can revitalize the space while creating a useful spot for messages.
9. Chalkboard paint in the kitchen: But don’t stop there! Chalkboard paint has more uses than just the garage. Try covering the refrigerator with the stuff and watch your child’s imagination go wild! Plus, no more sticky notes.
10. Wallpaper the fridge: If chalkboard paint isn’t your thing, why not throw some wallpaper on there? Simply remove the handles, stick on some of your favorite wallpaper, and watch your kitchen go from “drab” to “fab!”
11. Fabric cabinet covers: Old kitchen cabinets looking stale? Freshen up the room by adding some fabric accents! Simply remove the cabinet doors, measure out the fabric, and staple to give the room a bold pop of color.
12. Faux stainless steel appliances: If you want stainless steel appliances without the high cost, just grab some metallic contact paper and stick it over your old pieces to give them a realistic stainless steel look.
13. Upholster the box-spring: All box springs are ugly. Thankfully, there’s an easy way to turn your ugly mattress holder into a creative accent. Grab your favorite fabric and a staple gun, and you can upholster the box-spring in no time.
14. Build a laundry table: To fill in those pesky gaps between your washing machines, simply craft a laundry table. Just measure the space, cut up the wood with a circular saw, and in no time you’ll be saying, “I built this table from scratch!”
15. Splash up your backsplash: Backsplash looking a little beat-up? Don’t break the bank on new tile — just grab a can of your favorite paint and give it a fresh coat to instantly brighten up your kitchen.
16. Bottle up those products: Hygiene products are crucial to our daily lives, but that doesn’t mean they’re so cute to look at. Ditch the ugly containers by placing the products in new glass bottles to go from “throw up” to “glow up!”
A Simple Nest
17. Paint those poles: Basements can be a great place to relax, but they’re not always the prettiest. Give your basement the pop of color it needs by painting over those old columns with a coat of your favorite shade.
18. Hide the printer: Printers are bulky, which means they’re hard to tuck away in a cabinet. For a simpler solution, cut a hole in a decorative box to create a practical — but beautiful — hiding place.
20. Handmade ceiling lights: Drab light fixtures ruining your decor? Grab an old hanging planter, drape it in yarn, and hang it over your old ceiling fixture to give the room a dash of that craft store charm.