An old man walks into a restaurant with a pretty young woman on his arm: people immediately start talking. Is that his daughter, his granddaughter…or his girlfriend. When a couple has a big age gap, people notice, and when people notice they talk.
But age gap love isn’t new. In fact, Hollywood practically pioneered the idea of the old and young coming together in holy matrimony. The rich and beautiful seem to find each other no matter how many years separate them. Many of these couples have been judged for extreme age gaps, nevertheless, their love has found a way.
1. Mel Gibson and Rosalind Ross: This couple has a steep age gap as Gibson, 63, is 34 years senior to his young girlfriend. Disturbingly, Ross is 10 years younger than Gibson’s oldest daughter. Ross gave birth to Gibson’s ninth child in 2017.
2. Alec and Hilaria Baldwin: With a 26-year age gap, 61-year-old Alec Baldwin and his 35-year-old wife still have a successful relationship. On their 8-year anniversary, Alec shared a touching tribute about the day they met, calling her “a gift”.
3. Beyonce and Jay-Z: Somehow Queen Bey and Jay-Z are 12 years apart, with Beyonce being the younger of the two. They make a great pair regardless of the age difference with 3 beautiful children and over 10-years of marriage under their collective belt.
4. Mathew McConaughey and Camila Alves: At 36-years-old, Alves is significantly younger than 49-year-old McConaughey, but that doesn’t stop them from being one of the most adorable Hollywood couples. Here they are after he won his Oscar in 2014.
5. George and Amal Alamuddin Clooney: These two are the definition of a power couple. When the beloved bachelor married the stunning human rights lawyer in 2014, the 17-year age gap was the last thing on anyone’s mind. The beauty and charm are blinding.
6. Dick Van Dyke and Arlene Silver: This couple has the most years between them on our list. Even 46 years couldn’t separate these two lovebirds! They married in 2012 when Dick was 86 and Arlene was only 40.
7. Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart: You’ve got to love living in a world where Aly McBeal and Hans Solo find true love. Their 22-year age gap hasn’t stopped them from enjoying a happy marriage for almost 10 years.
8. Gabrielle Union and Dwayne Wade: This couple is truly one of the funniest and most endearing ever. Plus, Gabrielle Union shows it’s not always the man that has a younger partner. She is ten years older than her NBA star husband.
The Washington Post
9. Sarah Paulson and Holland Taylor: It’s no surprise that these two insanely talented actresses found love, even if they are 32 years apart. They champion LGBTQ visibility and fight against the ageism epidemic in Hollywood. Couples goals.
10. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie: Mr. and Mrs.Smith became the overwhelmingly glamorous “Brangelina” for 12 unforgettable years. Their 12 year age gap had nothing to do with their split in 2016. They share 6 children together.
11. Johnny Depp and Amber Heard: As for the controversies of this relationship, the 23-year age gap is at the very bottom of the list. This couple did not last, but their ongoing court case over domestic violence and defamation claims is still underway.
12. Celine Dion and Rene Angelil: Dion met Angelil when she was very young and they began a romantic relationship when she was 19 and he was 45. They enjoyed a wonderful marriage before his passing in 2016 from cancer.
13. Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore: Known for their 17-year age difference, Demi and Ashton made headlines for the decade they were together from 2003 to 2013. Demi recently released some surprising allegations against Kutcher in her tell-all book.
14. Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon: Carey was basically every teen boy’s dream in the nineties. Nick Cannon, ten years her junior, crushed on her in the nineties and married her in 2008. They divorced 6 years and a set of twins later.
15. Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones: These stars share a birthday date on January 25th, just 25 years apart. The older actor fell in love instantly when he met Zeta-Jones through a mutual friend. They have been happily married since 2000.
16. Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble: Kris is 63 and Corey is 38, but when they met at an Ibiza fashion show there were immediate fireworks. For over five years they have been in a partnership seemingly unscathed by the media criticism.
17. Jason Sudeikis and Olivia Wilde: As far as age gaps gaps go, these two have a fairly modest one. At only nine years apart, it was love at first sight for this couple. They have been together for 8 years and have 2 kids.
18. Mary-Kate Olsen and Olivier Sarkozy: Former child star Olsen married Sarkozy in 2015. Interestingly, he is the half-brother of the former French president. Although she is 17 years younger than him, their height difference is the most shocking part of their romance.
19. Patrick Stewart and Sunny Ozell: This couple met while Ozell was working as a waitress in an NYC restaurant. Their wedding was officiated by Ian McKellen and the two are very in love, despite the 38-year age gap between them.
20. Jeff Goldblum and Emilie Livingston: Known for his eccentricities, Goldblum was fairly in character when he married a dancer and contortionist 31 years younger than him. In 2014, they made it official and have had 2 children.
21. Richard Gere and Alejandra Silva: One thing this new couple has in common is that they are both humanitarian activists. Yes, Gere is mostly known as an actor, but the 69-year-old has found another passion.
22. Woody Allen and Soon-Yi Previn: You may need to sit down for this story. Soon-Yi was adopted by Allen’s previous partner Mia Farrow. When Soon-Yi was 22, Farrow found nude photos of her in Allen’s home, and he admitted to an affair. Allen married his ex’s daughter a few years later. She recently wrote a profile about him in light of assault allegations.
23. Madonna and Brahim Zaibat: This rhythmically talented couple met when Madonna asked Brahim to dance for promoting her clothing line Material Girl Collection. She was 52, he was 24. The break-up was pretty ugly, as she ended up slamming Brahim in a song called “Unapologetic b***h”.
24. Nelson Mandela and Graca Machel: He was married 3 times, his last wife being 27 years younger than him. The past First Lady is currently 72, while Nelson would be 100 years old were he still alive.
25. Larry King and Shawn Southwick: The infamous television host has been married 8 times, to 7 women, producing 5 children. He married Shawn, a singer and actress, three days before having heart surgery. He was 63 and she was 38. What a way to start a relationship with an older man!
26. Steve Martin and Anne Stringfield: He met the mother of his daughter when she was fact-checking something about him for the New Yorker. She was 35 and he was 61 when they got married. They celebrated Mary’s birth 5 years later.
27. Jennifer Lopez and Casper Smart: Madonna and her ex-beau are not the only singer/dancer couple on this list. J-lo began dating her backup dancer Casper Smart in 2011. She was 18 years his senior, and things didn’t work out. He has since dated Nicole Scherzinger and Sarah Hyland, while Jenny from the block hooked up with Yankee Alex Rodriguez.
28. Clint Eastwood and Dina Ruiz: Back when Dina was a TV reporter and news anchor, they met when she was tasked with interviewing Clint. Their marriage was a fairly public one, as Dina started her own reality show Mrs. Eastwood & Company. In 2013, she became Ex Mrs. Eastwood, ending the relationship with a 35-year age difference.
29. Frank Sinatra and Mia Farrow: Long before Mia’s complicated relationship with Woody Allen, she became Mrs. Sinatra at 21 years old, when Frank was already 50. At first, she gave up her acting career for him, but when she still agreed to star in Rosemary’s Baby, the marriage (or Frank) began to suffer.
30. Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell: Paul was a popular guy, seeing as how there is a whole separate Wikipedia dedicated to his personal relationships. His most successful relationship seems to be that with his current wife Nancy. Despite him being 18 years her senior, the two are still together, and he even wrote the song My Valentine for his beloved.
31. Susan Sarandon and Jonathan Bricklin: These two lovebirds were partners in romance AND in business. Despite their whopping 30 year age difference, they were an active and fit couple who opened a chain of ping-pong clubs. Sadly, the businesses lasted longer than the relationship, as the entrepreneurs broke up in 2015.
32. Rupert Murdoch and Wendi Deng: This movie-biz couple met while Wendi was working as an executive at the Murdoch-owned Star TV in Hong Kong. Although Rupert’s family and friends called Wendi a gold-digger because she was 37 years younger than him, she had two of his children and was married to him for 14 years.
33. Sylvester Stallone and Jennifer Flavin: Despite their 22-year age gap, this Hollywood couple is still happily married. They met in a restaurant when the model was 20, and over the years she gave birth to three daughters, who definitely took after their mother in terms of appearance.
34. Billy Joel and Katie Lee: Although Billy is famous for his love of music, he must also have a strong love for food. He met his former wife Chef Katie Lee in New York City, and they lived together in Long Island for 5 years. Sadly the 32-year age gap did not work out for this piano man.
35. Hugh Hefner and Crystal Harris: What can we say? Hef loved a babe. After several relationships with Playboy models, the late magazine publisher married Crystal on New Year’s Eve, 2012. She was 27 and he was 60 years ahead of her. She was his last relationship and now his widow since Hugh died in 2017.