Imagine your day job was assembling IKEA furniture… every. single. day. You just have a bunch of wood pieces that are different sizes and different thicknesses, plus a sheet of directions with random letters and arrows that point to nowhere. That’s a hard job.
That’s kind of what construction workers do for a living. But, they’re often building structures like bridges, buildings, or roads — not exactly corner bookshelves. Still, they’re only human, and sometimes, frustration or carelessness takes over and that can lead to some hilarious construction fails…
1. “Oh you’re telling me that north is that way? I thought it was that way…” This has to be what these architects and construction workers are talking about while standing on the edge of their really big mistake. Guess they have to start over now.
2. Which was built first, the staircase or the pillar? Sure, that’s one question you could ask, the other would be who on Earth thought this plan was a good one?
3. To work on a construction site you have to go through some form of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) training, but you don’t learn how to handle a live alligator.
4. When it comes to urban development, luxury buildings with key amenities for smaller living spaces are all the rage. Placing the playground on the roof is genius, but aiming the slide off of the building might violate a building code or two…
5. This escalator was built for functionality as well as fun. As you approach the ceiling, you get to engage in an extreme game of limbo. “How low can you go?” Better be low enough to clear that ceiling, otherwise, the limbo isn’t the only thing getting rocked…
6. Some might see this construction design as a fail, but it’s actually a really smart design. The ATM was built out of reach to help you be more fiscally responsible. If you can’t reach the ATM, then you can’t take out money. Happy mistake?
7. Parkour is sweeping across countries all over the world. This apartment complex specifically built its outdoor hallways so that its residents could engage in the sport… at least that’s what the construction company told the owners when they completely messed up.
8. Construction workers handle heavy machinery anytime they’re on-site, so there are specific procedures and safety measures they have to follow. It’s clear that a worker goofed up. Maybe no one will notice.
9. A similar thought might go through your mind when you see something like this. Was the bridge constructed as a decorative piece, or were the pools supposed to connect under the bridge?
10. This construction worker seems to have forgotten how to connect PVC piping. Do you twist them together? Do you glue them together? Maybe you just place them on your arms like this. Yeah, this seems right.
11. When you don’t have a table for your circular saw, grab your best friend — they’re the next best thing. It isn’t like there is a table directly behind you or anything, but this is definitely quick thinking at its finest.
12. Construction workers oftentimes have to think on their feet. When this part of campus flooded, students couldn’t get to their classes for days. The solution? Throw some cinder blocks and some boards down and call it a day.
13. You get your bathroom remodeled and the contractor leaves after a hard day’s work. You go to use your brand new bathroom only to find that you can’t actually close the door. So much for privacy.
14. Something doesn’t look right about this situation right here. Does it just stay there like that, or are they going to get another expensive machine to try and retrieve the expensive machine they flipped over into a trench?
15. Either there is an invisible driveway attached to this garage, or the contractor messed up big time. Maybe if this was the year 2121 it would be a great place to park your flying car, but for now, we’ll chalk this up to one major screw up.
16. This construction fail is completely baffling. We’ve heard of stairs to nowhere, but ramps to nowhere are totally different. Don’t plan to ride your bike up it, you’ll just get stuck at the top.
17. It’s hard to believe that the contractor finished the project, looked at their work, and thought, “Yep, this is good.” At the very least, your face is covered so bathroom patrons can’t see your embarrassment.
18. At first glance, this door looks just like any other door you’ve seen before. Until you stare at it long enough and realize that it’s upside down! Theoretically, it should still function the same, you’ll just look like a fool when you squat to see who’s at the door.
19. In an effort to skip installing sink piping, this contractor just placed the sink above a urinal. That way, the water from the sink will drain into the urinal AND it will rinse the urinal all at the same time. We see the logic behind this… kind of.
20. This contractor had the best intentions at heart when constructing this fail. They simply wanted to give burglars an extra hard time trying to get into this attic! You might argue that any level of security is better than none, but after you see what’s next, you might rethink that stance…
21. Looks like no one at this office is concerned with unannounced visitors getting into this door. Hopefully, a security guard is sitting on the opposite side, or else this place is just begging for unwanted intruders.
22. Why did the person who installed this electronic gate think it wasn’t necessary to include a fence or even a small hut with a guard? At least plant some bushes along the path so cars can’t simply cut around the gate with such ease!
23. Who exactly does this snoozing security guard think he’s tricking? This guy needs to get more sleep at night because if there is an actual emergency, Johnny Cardboard-Cutout isn’t going to be much help.
24. This had to have been a joke, and hopefully whoever drew the picture of the lock doesn’t actually have anything of value in their cabinets. All it would take is a light tug from anyone, and this “security” system would come undone.
25. The people who want all the merchandise inside this store to stay safe better hope that every single person with sticky fingers who walks by is illiterate. Otherwise, the employees will show up for work one day, and everything will be long gone.
26. Most people try to prevent their cars from getting stolen by using a mechanism on the steering wheels or getting a loud car alarm installed. Apparently, this person just wanted to make sure his doors weren’t mischievously opened.
27. They should at least paint the duct tape that’s holding this ATM closed so people don’t immediately realize they can walk right up and take all the cash from this machine. Maybe it’s a secret trap to lure thieves?
28. This person has the right idea… well, kind of. At least they’re trying to prevent their car from being stolen, but in truth, those chains wold probably snap as soon as the vehicle’s wheels started putting pressure on them.
29. “Hang on one second while I secure my bicycle to the very thin and movable leg of this sign.” This person should not be surprised if they come out of the store and realize they’re going to be walking home.
30. One look at this security blunder makes you wonder if the owner of this locker knows they need a device with a combination or a key. All it takes is a simple press of the silver safety bar to steal everything inside.
31. This driver took their car security to the extreme! What’s funny is that this Toyota Corolla hatchback isn’t exactly the kind of vehicle that needs so much protection. They should keep the chains at home until they show up in a Porsche.
32. Are people actually supposed to stop and wait in line behind this lonely turnstile when they can clearly walk right past it? No security badges or identification required to get past this “fool-proof” protection, huh?
33. Any seeing person can clearly tell these people don’t really care too much about their home security. The gate seems like it’s more for looks, but even if it is, it’s a bizarre-looking decoration to have in a front yard.
34. This guy better always remember to lock his gate when he leaves just in case someone tries to break in while simultaneously not realizing they can simply walk around to the other side in less than one second.
35. Here’s another car owner who thought they found a surefire way to prevent people from hopping into the driver’s seat and speeding off. They’d better not forget the chain is attached when they drive away, or they’ll be picking up pieces of their bumper off the road.
36. This might be the silliest attempt at keeping this moped safe from thieves. At least the owner can take comfort in the fact that if someone did remove the chain from the metal stud, the front wheel still wouldn’t spin.
37. Guess which four numbers make up the code to get into this door? Here’s a hint: they’re the ones that are scratched off. Someone needs to change this code every once in a while or else they might have to replace a whole lot of their belongings at some point!
38. It doesn’t seem like this person knows how drawers work. As you can see, all it takes is removing the drawer above the locked one to gain complete access to the bottom one. Brilliant.
39. Unless the person trying to break into this gate is incapable of walking, they can simply hop right over the metal railing on the side. Hopefully, this place has security cameras, because the residents might be seeing a lot of unwelcome visitors.
40. Anyone with the ability to lift 15 pounds could steal this piece of rolling merchandise. It almost seems like whoever owns this bike is trying to entice someone to steal it so they have an excuse to get a new one.
41. How badly do you have to hate a pair of windows to forcibly shove two entirely new ones into the old frames without actually getting rid of the old architecture? This one is like a visual traffic jam… and you know one of the drivers is uninsured.
42. It is pretty common in urban areas to find paths on roadways designed specifically for bicyclists. This particular bike path is less of a help and more a direct challenge to any passing cyclist. “You must have very little fear of death to ride.”
43. You know how when you’re nervous before a public speaking event and people always tell you to picture everyone naked? Well, this room takes that idea a step further… and also totally reverses it. Do it like nobody’s watching!
44. If you want to settle for a deck that looks like this, that’s just fine. Just make sure that you don’t invite any detail-oriented people over to your house for a barbecue, because this could very well break their brains forever and ever.
45. How terrified would you be if you stumbled across this sign? Sure, after a couple of read-throughs it becomes clear that they just want dogs on leashes and their poo scooped up, but at the beginning it sounds more like the concept for a terrible horror movie.
46. In fairness to whomever is responsible for this sign, if they’d just displayed one, the message would have been pretty clear. Sadly, because they did not, the overall effect is one of total nonsense, and that is not going to help bring in any customers.
47. It’s hard not to wonder what was going through the person’s head who hung these signs above all these urinals. Chances are few people reading the ads are “thinking about becoming a mum.” They are likely just thinking about peeing.
48. This is one electrician who is either terrible at his job or potentially a borderline evil genius. You can just bet that even though this sign is prominently placed, at least one person flicks off the switch every day just by accident!
49. Two things you never want linked, even mentally are farts and fashion. Is there a time and a place to talk about the gas that is passed? Very much so. However, that time is absolutely not when you are shopping for a little black dress to wear on your next hot date.
50. The Internet has made it easier than ever before to get your message out there, especially when it comes to posting help-wanted ads. However, some people are still just getting the hang of it… like whoever thought that posting this ad made any sort of sense at all.
51. This little rug is sharing a seriously positive message. Unfortunately, that positive message is transformed into a totally negative one thanks to poor color choices by the designer. Unless, that is, they did this on purpose.
52. In theory, this is a brilliant idea. After all, who wouldn’t want a brightly colored flamingo floating beside them, ice cold drinks at the ready? In practice, however, it would seem that this particular bird is actually terrible at holding his liquor.
53. Guess what is very dangerous? Reading a screen while you are driving a car. That’s why there are laws against it and why everyone is supposed to put their phones away before they start their engine. This warning is either poorly designed or a secret death trap.
54. This is a photograph included with an ad for a selfie stick. Selfie sticks are primarily used… to take selfies. Hence the name. Clearly the person responsible for this ad didn’t get that memo. Is it a way to show the subjects of the photo while also showing the product? Sure. Unfortunately, that just isn’t what a selfie stick is for!
55. While Batman probably has nothing against the Power Rangers, he wouldn’t be very keen on having his brand sullied like this. That said, you’ve got to give it up to the Bat: he is definitely pulling off that green costume.
56. It’s important to make sure that you keep your garbage and compost in a place where animals can’t get into it and make a total mess. Putting a locked door in place like this one is a great idea… only you might want to make sure you include a fence to go with it.
57. It is always nice for parents when restaurants offer children’s menus. It’s a great way to make life easier for the parents of a particularly picky eater. That said, just labeling the menu itself as for kids is plenty. You don’t want to evoke thoughts of cannibalism!
58. This restaurant couldn’t understand why its patrons were dining and dashing so often until they found this sign. A word to the wise: if you want people to do something, make sure the sign telling them to do that thing could not also be read backwards as telling them to do the exact opposite.
59. Sharing is caring, but this container of prepared watermelon takes things a step further. It suggests that you share your fruit even while letting you know that it only contains enough for just one person to enjoy fully. Helpful.
60. This list of choices to pick from is all well and good… unless you happen to be between the ages of 30 and 35. In which case, apparently, this questionnaire is 100% not for you. Please enjoy your existential crisis, says the management.
61. This one isn’t exactly a case of a designer getting it wrong so much as it is a case of a user’s friend just plain ol’ not having enough letters in it to make it a viable security question answer. That doesn’t make it any less funny, though!
62. Who doesn’t love a great sale? Saving money on the stuff that you need is always nice. That said, this sale seems like less of a bargain and more like a scam. If you’re buying three things, shouldn’t you be getting… three things, and not two? Oy.