Chances are, the only place you won’t find a fast food restaurant in the United States is the center of a desert. These places are so ubiquitous throughout the United States that, even if you were missing most of your senses, you could probably sniff your way to a McDonald’s (and its heavenly fries).
That said, there are quite a few that actually don’t spread too far from their origins. And it’s a shame because they’re so tasty that it’s practically criminal to not share their menus with as many fast food junkies as possible. These 15 limited chain restaurants might make you go grab your wallet and car keys…
1. Dick’s Drive-In: This Seattle-based burger joint has not only withstood the test of time, it practically spat in its face. For just $2.90, you can get a double-patty burger made with never-frozen beef, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and pickle relish. Take that, inflation!
2. Whataburger: Since the 1950s, this restaurant has been crushing the fast food burger scene throughout Texas. However, it’s their breakfast that makes it stand out. Biscuits, cinnamon rolls, and taquitos with cheese all provide their own reasons for consumers to get up early and stop by before work.
3. Bojangles’: In a world of Popeyes, KFCs, and Chik-Fil-As, it takes a really special fried bird to capture the hearts of chicken lovers. Bojangles’ has just the recipe for that: with 12 hours of marination and a spicy breading, this restaurant makes mouths water all over the Southeast.
4. In N’ Out Burger: Only three things are on this menu — a cheeseburger, a double cheeseburger, and a hamburger — and they’re all mega-delicious. Though the chain has over 300 locations, they’re only in California, Utah, and Texas.
5. Jim’s Restaurant: When it’s 3 a.m. and you’re dying for something to eat, leave it to Jim’s to answer the call — so long as you’re in the San Antonio or Austin, Texas, areas. Open 24 hours, Jim’s will take care of any craving, seriously.
6. Krystal: Harold and Kumar may have had a wild night chasing down White Castle, but that’s only because no one told them about Krystal. This Southern chain produces small, square burgers too, but with a few additional perks like onions, mustard, and even a side of grits.
Krystal / Facebook
7. Waffle House: There’s an old saying that goes something like “no one has ever been sad inside a Waffle House,” and once you’ve been into one of these 24/7 locations peppering the country, it’s easy to see why.
Waffle House / Facebook
8. Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles: Sorry, did you want a little chicken with your waffles? Well, this Los Angeles chain is the place you want to be then. They capitalize on combining sweet syrup and crunchy waffles with oh-so-savory chicken.
9. Arctic Circle: Though only in Idaho and Utah, people everywhere want to know what’s in this restaurant’s incredible secret fry sauce recipe! After one taste, your mouth “is in heaven.”
10. Texadelphia: This Texas chain takes Philly’s cheesesteak and gives it the old “welcome to Texas” treatment. Enjoy a side of tortilla chips with your sandwich and enter into that sweet state of bliss brought on by excessive, tasty carbohydrates.
Texadelphia / Facebook
11. Burgerville: If you like restaurants that are powered entirely by wind, then you’ll love Oregon, Washington, and Vancouver’s 50-location burger chain. They’re also made with marionberries, Tillamook cheddar, and free-range beef.
12. Wings to Go: Sadly, the western half of the United States doesn’t have access to the 19 mouth-watering flavors this hot spot has to offer. Cooking up their famous wings since 1985, this chain stops at nothing to serve the most authentic chicken in the nation.
13. Original Tommy’s: Chili lovers, look no further. Paradise waits in Southern California (with a few spots in Nevada) at this restaurant. Each menu item at Tommy’s isn’t complete until a generous ladle of all-beef chili is put on top!
14. Tastee Freez: A very unique selection of frozen treats can only ironically be found in one of the coldest places in America — Alaska. They serve more than just ice cream, including their famous salmon burgers.
15. Jack’s: Bells and whistles are nowhere to be seen on the menu of this Birmingham, Alabama-founded joint, and to its many patrons, that’s A-okay. The food still has the people of Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Tennessee coming back for seconds.
16. Wawa: Though more a ‘gas station stop’ than a ‘dine-in’ experience, this east coast chain has attracted customers everywhere in large part to their made-to-order hoagies. Apparently, they’re the best stop on a long road trip!
17. Torchy’s Tacos: The two main things you need to know about this place are the Brush Fire (Jamaican jerk chicken, grilled jalapeños, and mango) and the Trailer Park (fried chicken breast topped with sautéed green chiles, lettuce, pico de gallo, and shredded mixed cheese on a flour tortilla).
18. Godfather’s Pizza: Move over NYC slice and Chicago deep dish — there’s a new pizza place in town. A privately owned restaurant chain headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska, this place operates fast, casual Italian franchises with “pizza you can’t refuse.”
19. Sonny’s BBQ: You’d be hard-pressed to leave this place without an urge to take a food coma-inspired nap. Pulled or sliced pork, ribs, and turkey all smoked for 12 hours. With only 150 locations across 9 states, criminally few people have an opportunity for a gorge-fest at Sonny’s.
20. Jollibee: Scattered across the eastern coast (oh, and Hawaii) this chain serves up the one and only fast food Aloha burger. With their special sauce, slices of pineapple, and smoky bacon, how could you not travel to give it a try?
Out of all the fast food restaurants on this list, McDonald’s may be the one that every person has access to. However, not every customer across the globe is ordering off of the same menu…
1. The Sweety with Nutella (Italy): This tasty dessert may look like a burger at first, but instead of meat, there’s a gooey center of hazelnut and cocoa spread! Yum.
2. The Pizza McPuff (India): Big fan of Hot Pockets? Then you’d absolutely love this puff pastry filled with sauce, cheese, and meat! Don’t worry, there’s a veggie option so all can enjoy.
3. The Favourites Box (Australia): Finally, the perfect solution for those who are so hungry they can’t decide what to eat. This deal comes with 4 different burgers, 2 family fries, 10 nuggets, and 4 drinks!
4. The McChoco Potato (Japan): Meet the unique and only seasonal, Halloween side McDonald’s offers. Drizzled with chocolate and pumpkin sauce, these fries are sure to spook your taste buds…
5. The Chicken McDo with Spaghetti (Philippines): Yes, we’re also surprised this menu item doesn’t exist in Italy. It’s a pasta dinner served with a side of chicken that’s sure to fill you up like a king.
6. Sausage N’ Egg Twisty Pasta (Hong Kong): Lover of both breakfast and dinner? Fear no more for Ronald McDonald’s got your back with this hot dish of sausage and egg over a bowl of chicken or broth, twisty pasta, and greens.
7. The Black Burger (Japan): With Japan basically being the culinary center of the world, many of us know about these dark buns by now. But did you know that the black, spicy sauce is made from squid ink?
8. McBeer (Germany, Portugal, France): That’s right, the McDonald’s restaurants within these 3 countries always make sure to offer a cold one at every location.
9. Poutine Fries (Canada): Just thought this gravy, cheesy goodness was only sold in diners, eh? It’s only fair that they’re also served at a fast food place too – especially within the country they originated from!
10. The Tzatziki Beef Wrap (Croatia): This menu item may look like it came from a local gyro shop, but it’s actually just another rare product of McDonald’s. It’s basically their chicken snack wrap with a Mediterranean twist…
Though the beef and Tzatziki sauce do add a nice change of flavor, the classic chicken snack wrap will always remain a favorite in America.
11. Red Bean or Green Tea McFlurry (Malaysia): If you’re trying to stay healthy but can’t get rid of that need for dessert, then this unique snack is for you. You can also order them with or without Oreos!
12. Bubblegum Squash McFlurry (Australia): No, there is not actual squash in this much less healthy choice of soft-serve… But there is blue bubblegum syrup and marshmallows!
13. Bacon Mac N Cheese Toastie (China): McDonald’s launched this mouth-watering sandwich not too long ago, and boy, does the rest of the world already want a slice of that heaven too!
14. Churros (South Korea): How can you say no to this fried pastry dough covered in sugar? Add a coffee to dip it in, and we’re sold!
15. Patatas Deluxe (Spain): These aren’t a normal side of potatoes, rather a group of seasoned wedges that come with not 3, but 12 dipping sauces!
16. Shaka Shaka Chicken (Japan): Just picture a wrapped-up chicken patty without the bun and a packet of seasoning…
17. Frozen Coke (New Zealand): If you’ve ever wanted to taste your soda in slushie form, look no further than the beautiful islands of New Zealand. Might as well get whipped cream on top while you’re at it!
18. Cadbury Creme Egg McFlurry (United Kingdom): The English may have outdone themselves with this last one. Not only can people there enjoy the delicious Cadbury Creme Egg candies in ice cream, but they also don’t have to wait until Easter to do so!