It’s where families gravitate on holidays as their noses follow the aromas of fresh-baked pies; it’s where families sit down together at the end of a long day. A kitchen, no matter how huge or furnished, is often described as the heart of the home.
Well, not every kitchen lends itself to those perfect scenes of familial happiness. Some actually look like the settings of nightmares, complete with drawers that can’t open, colors that don’t match, and appliances that won’t function properly. These 20 kitchens fail so hard, you don’t have to be cutting onions to shed a tear at the sight of them!
1. Most people would agree that a pop of color would brighten any room, but seven different colors is a bit too festive don’t you think? Still, Barbies used as casual decor is pretty special.
2. Usually, when you see marble in a kitchen it’s stunning… and it’s also real and, you know, not sponge painted across every single cabinet. This looks more like a crime scene than ancient Rome.
3. From the decorations in the room, it’s clear they were going for a western theme, but they missed the mark on the island. What, we think, is supposed to be a large kidney bean just looks like a large… well, human kidney.
4. After finishing the renovation to this kitchen, they realized they forgot to leave room for the refrigerator. Clearly, the perfect solution is to create a smaller hut in the middle of their open-concept kitchen to house it. Problem solved.
5. At first glance, this kitchen looks spacious, stocked with built-in appliances and a pantry with extra storage. Then you realize that opening the doors is a problem: if you need them all open at once, you have to work through a puzzle first.
6. Somebody didn’t measure the space available before ordering these office kitchen cabinets. It’s fine, though. They’re just for an office so no one is really going to want to store disposable kitchenware for company meetings or anything.
7. Tiny houses are all the rage these days. They’re small living spaces, but they have all the amenities. The lofted toilet right above the kitchen, however, is a poor design choice.
8. Putting any sort of appliance with a door in the corner is sure to backfire. The first time anyone tries to open the dishwasher door, it’s immediately followed with an instant “facepalm” gesture. This is a classic kitchen mistake.
9. Double sinks are great for separating dishes into two loads: one for rinsing and one for washing. Unfortunately, this faucet wasn’t designed for this duel sink action. Maybe the other side can be used for drying because no water is ever going to reach that second sink.
10. With this renovation, after binging on a four-course Sunday dinner, you can just draw yourself a bath and let the digestion process begin. You don’t even need to wait for your guests to leave because you can still entertain them from the comfort of your bathtub. Maybe this design fail is actually a success.
11. Green is a nice color. Bathrooms look good painted green, bedrooms look good painted green, dining rooms look good painted green. Kitchens do not look good painted green. Spearmint gum was not the way to go with this kitchen renovation.
12. Not really sure what’s going on in this kitchen. Ignoring the fact that there’s an open toilet in the same vicinity as a microwave, there’s also a clear shower in between said toilet and microwave. Talk about open concept.
13. It’s silly to expect to be able to open all of your drawers without having to move something out of the way, isn’t it? Doesn’t everyone have to open their oven door just to open the drawer that stores the oven mitts?
14. Islands are great for extra counter space. This tiny island, on the other hand, doesn’t really cut it in the space department. Guess you could say this island is… a little remote.
15. Assembling your own furniture is really complicated. See exhibit A below: we wouldn’t suggest sitting on this chair, but it makes for a great statement piece. And did anyone notice there’s an oven next to a washing machine in the background?
16. Hello Kitty is a wildly popular franchise, but who knew they made kitchenware as well? Here, it must always feel like you’re cooking in a play kitchen. Imagine what the rest of the house looks like…
17. Exposed duct work is the new exposed brick these days. The shiny chrome coloring goes great with the stainless steel appliances and definitely adds character to the plain finishes on the cabinets and counter tops.
18. If green or pink aren’t your colors, then purple definitely is. The contrast between the royal, glossy purple cabinets and the gray and white accents is nothing short of noble. Not to mention the mirror in the corner so you can watch yourself prepare raw chicken.
19. Nothing beats doing dishes with a view. This kitchen gets bonus points for allowing you to watch the sun glitter on the lake, observe birds in their natural habitat, and soak up nature at it’s finest… if you could just see over the barbecue.
20. What might have looked good in this designer’s head was not executed very well. It looks like they just took extra cabinet doors and glued them to the front of a stainless steel refrigerator. It’s surprising the oven doesn’t have wood finishing either, but maybe that’d be too much…