Anyone who says that renovating a home is easy is a fool. It’s usually quite expensive and time-consuming. In addition to all of that, poor decision-making and planning can throw off the entire project—and maybe even ruin your house!
Whoever tried renovating the following homes must not have realized what they were getting themselves into. Each and every one of their projects looks like an absolute disaster, and you can’t help but laugh at the results! But be careful: the next time you want to do some renovations, you could be next on this list…
1. Good luck trying to sell this home with a big ol’ telephone pole right in the middle of the entranace to the driveway! Some inattentive telephone company employee sure goofed up big time here. Let’s hope there’s a discount on the home’s listing price!
2. It may take you some time to realize what’s wrong with this picture… that is, until you take a closer look at the bottom of that garage door. This garage wouldn’t be so bad if we all commuted using hovercrafts, but alas, this isn’t Back to the Future.
3. On a purely functional level, there’s not much wrong with the way that this house was renovated, but from an aesthetic perspective, it’s an utter disaster. Come on—it’s not hard to realize that those designs don’t match!
4. On paper, the idea of having a platform raise from the ground to reveal your expensive sports car is neat. But in practice, it makes your home look less like a James Bond movie and more like a waste of technology.
5. If you think you see something risque in this photo, get your head out of the gutter! Somebody definitely should have realized what this ceiling was going to look like before they finished it.
6. It’s pictures like this that must have made neighbors shout, “Are any of you even trying?” It’s unfathomable that a builder could install new windows this way and think that their work for the day was done.
7. It’s unclear from the looks of it how well this toilet actually works. But at such an awkward angle, it’s certainly going to make the process of doing your personal business a little more interesting!
8. You’d think that one of the most basic requirements of building a staircase is making sure there’s enough open space above it as you ascend. It may be a headache to plan, but when it doesn’t work, it’s more of a headache to actually use!
9. Either this home builder wanted to use just one light to illuminate two rooms at once, or they miscalculated where the wiring would be located. Why wouldn’t they remove the light fixture when they built the wall?
10. It must’ve been annoying when these designers realized they’d inadvertently blocked off the door’s pathway with the bricks from the patio. At least they were able to come up with a solution as, uh, elegant as this.
11. It couldn’t have been easy to design a driveway on such a steep slope, but surely there must have been a better way than to put it at what looks like a 45-degree angle! Can you imagine trying to pull into the driveway in the winter?
12. This is a perfect example of why you should never hire an avant-garde architect. Sure, the concept of a staircase that leads nowhere is fascinating. But who actually wants to live in an M.C. Escher lithograph?
13. What are we even looking at here? How difficult would it have been to measure the dimensions of the door and the wall properly before turning it into this weird geometric mess? Hey, at least the frame was cut precisely!
14. What is it with builders and steep driveways? If it’s such a challenge for this homeowner to walk on this driveway, how on Earth is anyone expected to drive a 3,000-pound vehicle up and down it?
15. This building is strange enough, what with so few windows to let in light. But what’s really concerning in the garage door… three stories high. How is anyone supposed to park up there?
16. You’re going to need some intensely precise driving skills to be able to maneuver your car’s wheels properly onto those planks of wood and safely into the garage. Even for the best drivers, this is a nightmare!
17. You know how, legally, you’re not supposed to park within 15 feet from a fire hydrant? Well, that’s a lot more difficult when the fire hydrant is placed literally right in front of your garage. Hey, at least this person will be safe in case of a fire!
18. The construction team who planned this sky-high garage clearly anticipated some sort of a ramp to lead from the house to the roadway. Unfortunately, that never materialized… and it looks like these cars aren’t going anywhere.
19. Sometimes you have to make concessions when designing small spaces. This usually results in one room serving multiple functions, like a kitchenette inside your living room. Not so common? A dining room with a toilet. Oof.
20. What’s the point of a door stop if it’s not going to be able to, you know… stop the door? This person’s problem might have started when they placed it on the door itself; typically, doorstops are attached to the wall so you can avoid this issue altogether!
21. This is just baffling. Why is the radiator built into the door? Most importantly, though, what room does that door lead to, and how is anyone ever going to get into it… or out of it?
22. Even if you know nothing about architecture or home design, you could look at a piece of work like this one and feel downright offended at something so lazy. Come on, put some effort into it, people!
23. Okay, is there some home designer out there who’s trying to murder the people living in the house he’s working on? You can’t put a faucet over an outlet and convince people it’s not at least a little bit intentional.
24. From the looks of it, this could’ve been a pretty nice porch… right up until the moment that the homeowners decided it needed a hot tub. Could they really have expected things to go any differently?
25. This poor lad found himself in quite the predicament. It’s one thing to paint yourself into a corner; it’s another altogether to paint yourself into a corner on a roof. Either he waits for it to dry, or he signals a helicopter. (We’re betting on option A.)
26. At this point, wouldn’t it just be easier, and less expensive, to simply relocate that sapling and then finish paving the driveway? It’ll only be harder and more costly to get rid of the tree the larger it grows!
27. This seems almost surreal as you try to figure out what’s going on here, but your eyes do not deceive you. Somebody really messed up when setting those tiles properly alongside the carpeted part of the floor. Remember: measure twice, cut once!
28. It’s one thing to install a fan onto a ceiling where it clearly could never fit, but these marks must’ve been made from somebody actually trying to turn it on! Talk about the you-know-what hitting the fan, right?
Hopefully, whoever lived in these homes was able to make things more presentable eventually. It just goes to show that if you’re going to renovate your house, you really need to do some planning!
Share these funny photos with your friends below!