It goes without saying that many people dream of someday being homeowners. Though the days of pioneering are long gone, most of us still maintain that the American Dream includes our own land and a home (white picket fence optional, of course).
Unfortunately, for many Americans, finances can make the dream of home ownership virtually impossible. However, there are places in the country where that isn’t the case at all. In fact, in some places, it’s the exact opposite: they will pay you to move there!
If you dream of buying a home but feel like you don’t have the cash to do it, then you might want to check out these cities…
1. Tribune, Kansas: The Rural Opportunity Zone program hopes to attract younger folks to this Midwestern state by offering to pay off as much as $15,000 in student loan debt over five years—and it’s working! “Since beginning the ROZ program, [Greeley County’s] population has increased by 55 people—25 of them being direct program participants benefiting from the student loan incentives,” says a rep from the program.
2. Marne, Iowa: This small town is located just 45 minutes away from Nebraska’s largest city, Omaha, and it will give you free land to build a house there, too… provided it is at least 1,200 square feet in its design. Not too shabby!
3. Curtis, Nebraska: The small town of Curtis has seen a lot of development over the past years, and it’s doing what it can to keep the boom going. It’s also offering free plots of land to folks eager to build one-family homes.
4. Harmony, Minnesota: This teeny town is looking to build up its numbers. The Harmony Economic Development Authority offers a program that will give you a cash rebate between $5,000 and $12,000, based on the final estimated value of your house, to move there!
5. Baltimore, Maryland: This city is anything but a small town, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t deals to be found if you know where to look. The Buying Into Baltimore program offers a $5,000 loan to buy property. Also, the Vacants to Value Booster program offers $10,000 for a down payment on a house that’s been abandoned or foreclosed.
6. New Haven, Connecticut: This bustling northeastern city has programs in place that should encourage any potential homeowner to relocate. For instance, it offers $10,000 loans for first-time buyers, $30,000 in renovation help, and $40,000 towards college tuition!
7. Alaska: The state of Alaska offers so many different programs that incentivize moving there that it’s hard to know where to start! All across the state, potential residents can receive tremendous rebates for building an energy efficient property.
8. Colorado: If you suffer from a disability, that’s one more reason to move to this beautiful state. One Colorado program helps the permanently disabled finance their first home. The state also offers a grant that helps cover the first down payment on a property for everyone, disabled or otherwise!
9. Wyoming: The Wyoming Rehabilitation & Acquisition Program rehabilitates abandoned and foreclosed properties and puts them back on the market for extremely low prices. Another program covers properties that require more than $15,000 worth of work.
With so many different options to make buying a home easier than ever, it’s hard to resist the temptation to move. From city-living to starting a life in rural America, there are so many exciting opportunities out there!
How great is this list? If you didn’t feel like you could ever have a home of your own before, you probably do now! Where would you like to live?
Share this list with your friends below!