We’ve all dreamed of striking it rich the way that celebrities have. Having enough money to purchase cars, homes, and clothes or to travel to exotic locales all around the world without having to worry about going broke would be a dream come true! Yet, apparently it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.
Despite their fame and fortune, many celebrities continue to live frugal lives. Whether it’s because of the way they were raised or merely because they just want to save, these 20 celebrities have all been outed as being cheap!
1. Jennifer Lawrence: With starring roles in blockbuster films like The Hunger Games, Lawrence has plenty of cash flowing in. Yet, for the first few years of stardom, she drove a relatively humble Volkswagen Eos instead of a flashy sports car like her counterparts.
2. Kate Middleton: With fashion designers vying to dress the Duchess of Cambridge, it’s a wonder why she chooses to wear the same styles on different occasions. Perhaps she’s tipping her hat to her late mother-in-law, Princess Diana—the “People’s Princess”—by wearing grabs anyone can afford.
3. Christian Bale: When you play Batman three times, you can have whatever home your heart desires. Yet for the longest time, Bale chose to live in a one-room apartment with his family. He didn’t have a cell phone either! He once admitted, “Wealth doesn’t mean anything to me. If a robber broke into my house, he’d burst into tears.”
4. Peter Dinklage: When the Game of Thrones star isn’t on set, he can be found dressed down and hanging out with his wife and daughter at their humble digs in Upstate New York. His friends have said he’ll fix things around his home rather than pay a professional to do it.
5. Dave Grohl: The Foo Fighters and former Nirvana musician doesn’t mind spending a little moolah on his family here and there, but when it comes to his own amenities, he couldn’t care less. For instance, he often likes to drive around in this old Ford Falcon.
6. Jennifer Garner: With two superstar incomes in the home, it was a wonder how Garner and her ex-husband, Ben Affleck, chose to be so frugal. Instead of blowing their money on frivolous things, they opted to live modestly, even doing their own grocery shopping as opposed to hiring a personal shopper.
7. Leonardo DiCaprio: If there’s one thing DiCaprio has—besides an Oscar, finally!—it’s money. Yet, the star of The Revenant is known to opt for commercial flights; it’s also rumored he drives a Toyota Prius. How eco-conscious!
8. Pope Francis: Despite the tradition of living lavishly in the Papal Apartments of Vatican City, Pope Francis chose not to follow the footsteps of his predecessors. Rather, he’s chosen to humbly reside in one of the three-bedroom dorms of the Vatican guest houses.
9. Kendrick Lamar: With lyrics often delving into the perils of materialism, it’s no wonder the Compton rapper (and 2018 Pulitzer Prize-winner) has chosen to live in a modest four-bedroom home in Eastvale, California.
10. Kristen Bell: During an interview, Bell once admitted to just how frugal she can be, as she recalled stealing her neighbor’s Bed Bath and Beyond coupons from their mailbox. She and her husband, actor Dax Shepard, also famously got married in a courthouse ceremony that cost just $142!
11. Vincent Kartheiser: Not only does this former Mad Men star give away or sell the gift bag items he receives at award shows, but he even chooses to live modestly. He once admitted in 2010 that, for a while, he called a wooden box that didn’t even have a working toilet home.
12. Sarah Jessica Parker: The Sex and the City star has long instilled the value of a dollar in her children. How? By sewing their old clothes when they get ripped, as well as frequently shopping at secondhand stores instead of buying them everything they want brand-new.
13. Ashley Greene: After starring in the ridiculously popular Twilight Saga, Greene can afford anything she desires. Yet, in 2012, she admitted to not spending her paychecks on frivolous items, instead saving to buy both a car and a home.
14. Warren Buffet: Though he’s one of the richest men in the world—worth roughy $80 billion—he continues to live in the home he bought more than 60 years ago. Buffet also still drives the same old Cadillac he’s had for ages!
15. Zooey Deschanel: When details of Deschanel’s divorce from her husband, Ben Gibbard, were released, it was revealed the star spent only $1,000 a month on household supplies and groceries. She chooses to donate the majority of her earnings to various charities.
16. Ludacris: This rapper might sing about having money, but that’s because he’s saved so much! In fact, he’s so frugal that The Fast and the Furious star actually drives a 1993 Acura—a stark downgrade from the rides he sports in his movies.
17. Carrie Underwood: Despite launching her singing career after winning the fourth season of American Idol, Underwood found that old habits die hard. She still continues to clip coupons before going to the grocery store!
18. Keanu Reeves: Forget about Hollywood fame! Reeves has chosen to live a rather modest life. Rather than buying homes, he’s rented apartments and stayed in hotels. He’s also been spotted frequently walking and using public transportation!
19. Keira Knightley: In an effort to better understand those who live on much less money, Knightley decided to live frugally. Not only does she set a monthly limit for herself, but if she wants to go over it, she forces herself to really think about why before making her decision.
20. Jay Leno: Yes, the former Tonight Show host has an elaborate car collection, but he’s always been a saver. In fact, since his early days as a comedian, he would carry two jobs: one to make spending money, and the other to help him save every penny!
These celebrities prove that, no matter how much money they make, it doesn’t take away the values that were instilled in them when they were “ordinary” people like us!
Share these frugal celebrities with your friends below!