When it comes to gifts, it’s the thought that counts. It doesn’t matter how much money was spent, only that giver gave it time and thought. But that rule doesn’t always apply for celebrity gifters, not when they’ve got a few million sitting in their bank accounts.
Sure, these 20 celebrities gave their gifts some thought, but they also spent outrageous sums to score them. In fact, you won’t believe how much these A-listers spent on gifts—and the things they bought—for the people they cared most for…
1. A custom Barbie Doll ($80,000): Jay-Z and Beyoncé gifted Blue Ivy with a diamond-covered Barbie Doll, something this infant surely appreciated. “They work hard for their money and the first thing they want to spend it on is their baby girl,” a source said.
2. Ten Burger King franchises (about $5 million): Despite a deep love for McDonald’s, Kim Kardashian received several Burger King Franchises from Kanye West as a wedding gift. The couple must just love burgers, as West also owns some Fatburger franchises.
3. A puppy house ($325,000): Paris Hilton bought her six tiny pups a dog-sized mansion. It boasted a custom interior, two floors, a balcony, and a chandelier. Her dogs, in other words, lived better than about 95 percent of the world’s population.
4. A royal rattle ($44,000): Kate Middleton’s baby Charlotte probably couldn’t tell the difference between a bejeweled rattled and a Fisher Price one, but that didn’t stop the princess from giving one to her child after she’d already been gifted one by the Mexican president.
5. A gorilla sanctuary (unknown): Portia de Rossi announced on The Ellen DeGeneres Show she’d purchased a Rwanda-based sanctuary for her lovely wife’s 60th birthday. “Portia has given me the greatest gift I’ve ever been given,” Ellen later tweeted.
6. One-of-a-kind Chanel bike ($12,000): After Jennifer Aniston expressed an interest in cycling, friend and Friend’s co-star Courtney Cox gifted her with this beauty, which came bejeweled. Practical? No. Cute? Heck yeah.
7. A bejeweled bathtub ($5,200): Former Destiny’s Child member Kelly Rowland gave her bandmate Beyoncé a bathtub adorned with Swarovski crystals—a gift for Blue Ivy. It weighed over 3,000 pounds and boasted 44,000 swallowable crystals. Perfect for a newborn.
8. An ancient olive tree ($18,500): Angelina Jolie frequently lavished then-husband Brad Pitt with gifts—including a custom helicopter—but nothing stood out quite like this piece of nature. They planted the 200-year-old tree at their French estate.
9. Roses ($1,000): Most couples exchange a bouquet on Valentine’s Day, but Kanye West and Kim Kardashian aren’t most couples. She gleefully posed with the 1,000 roses West bought her—which paled in comparison to this next gift…
Kim Kardashian / Instagram
10. Gulfstream jet ($20 million): Tom Cruise must have been inspired by his Top Gun days when he bought a custom jet for his then-wife, Katie Holmes, in lieu of a diamond ring. She barely used it, saying it was “like a bus, but faster.”
11. More roses ($16,000): Singer Jason DeRulo dropped five digits on a room full of roses for his girlfriend Jordin Sparks—10,000 of them, to be exact. The delightfully “overwhelmed” Sparks eventually donated most of them to a hotel’s hardworking staff.
12. Tickets to space ($100,000): Katy Perry spoiled her then-husband Russell Brand with two seats on Richard Branson’s space-faring Virgin Galactic. They went into zero gravity space for 5 minutes. This was not the inspiration for her song “E.T.”
13. Fisker Karma ($100,000): For his 18th birthday, Justin Bieber received a chrome-wrapped car from his manager, Scooter Braun. It had a solar panel on the roof. He decked it out with LED undercarriage lights, which are illegal. Bieber remains at large.
14. Beckham Winery (seven figures): For her birthday in 2008, David Beckham handed Victoria a bottle of wine… wine that came from the Napa, California winery he’d just bought her, below. Now they sell wine for $50 a bottle.
15. A bombardier challenger 850 jet ($40 million): When Beyoncé needed the perfect gift to give Jay-Z for Father’s Day, she skipped the “World’s Best Dad” mug and bought him a freakin’ jet. It has a bedroom and fits 15 guests.
16. A speedboat ($100,000): Eight years before former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo hung up his cleats for good, he bought his then-girlfriend Jessica Simpson a custom speedboat. When the couple split, she kept the boat. Seems fair.
17. Royal earrings ($4,000): Is it crazy that spending a few thousand dollars on earrings doesn’t sound all that strange for royalty? Regardless, Kate Middleton received green amethyst earrings designed by her favorite jeweler after giving birth. It’s almost enough to make all that nausea worth it!
18. White Ferrari ($320,000): Rapper Tyga gifted Kylie Jenner a sports car for her 18th birthday. Jenner had it painted grey, and when the two broke up, Tyga kept paying for it to stay connected with his former lover.
19. Horses ($4,000): When Robert Downey Jr. bought a brand new ranch, best bud Jamie Foxx gifted him two horses to go with it—perfect stable decór. In return, Downey Jr. gave Foxx a 1967 vintage El Camino. Now that’s a horse of a different color!
20. Four Maseratis ($1 million): Adam Sandler surprised Grown Ups co-stars Chris Rock, Kevin James, David Spade, and Rob Schneider with the $250,000 luxury cars. “I went outside the other day and I had a new Maserati in the driveway,” Spade said.
For their loved ones, these celebrities spared no expense. Which one of these gifts do you think was the most thoughtful?
Share these expensive celebrity gifts with your friends below!