One of the best parts about going on a trip is getting a chance to stay in a hotel room. From the housekeeping to the room service, nothing is quite as luxurious as a hotel stay.
However, for all their little perks, sometimes booking a hotel room can be a little less “deluxe” than it should be. After all, nothing quite beats the comforts of home.
That doesn’t mean you should suffer in silence. In fact, here are 17 amazing tips and hacks from world travelers to make your next hotel stay as comfortable as possible!
1. Instead of packing a bulky iron with you the next time you’re staying at a hotel, use the hangers in the closet to hang up your wrinkled clothes in the bathroom while you shower. The hot steam will remove the wrinkles.
2. If the air conditioning in your hotel room is non-existent (or might as well be), take a towel from the bathroom and dampen it slightly. Then, either place it near your air conditioner or near an open window. The chilly droplets in the towel will evaporate, adding some cool, moist air into the room.
3. The shower caps that most hotels provide have more than one great use. When you’re packing, make sure you use them to cover your shoes and protect them from harming your nice clothes with dirt or other grime that have accumulated on the soles.
4. You can save a fortune by making your own food inside of hotels instead of ordering room service. With a little planning, you can not only save major dollars, but also carry a little taste of home with you!
5. If you are traveling with kids and you don’t want to have to shell out for an extra room or a pull-out bed, try using the copious amounts of pillows provided to create individual sleeping areas atop the same bed.
6. If you’re a light sleeper, staying in a hotel can be rough. Place a rolled towel along the bottom of your hotel room door to block out annoying and distracting lights and sounds that might disturb your slumber.
7. If your daytime activities get rained out and you’re trapped in your hotel room with the kids, why not use painter’s tape on the rug to mark out fun routes for your children to explore with their favorite toy cars?
8. While most of the curtains in hotel rooms do a great job blocking out the light, that pesky opening where they meet can leak in a lot of unwanted glare from outside. Instead of suffering a sleepless night, use one of their fancy clipping hangers to clip the drapes together.
9. If you need a place to feed the kids inside of your hotel room look no further than the in-room ironing board that comes equipped inside of the closest. It’s the perfect solution—and the kids will love it!
10. If you are running late to a meeting or your next fun activity, you can use the coffee pot and its hot water to brew up instant meals like oatmeal and ramen noodles in a snap. Now that’s a seriously awesome hack!
11. If you run out of places to power your phone or you left your charger at home, you don’t need to spend money to find a way to charge your phone. Most hotel room TVs will have a spare USB port in the rear that works just fine.
12. If you need a place to change your baby and you don’t want to risk soiling your bedding, you can easily transform a hotel room’s desk into the perfect baby-changing station. Presto! How easy is that?
13. Another lesson for those who are traveling with a baby: dirty diapers can pile up quickly! That’s why you should store them inside of the plastic bag provided for hotel laundry. Just don’t forget to dump it at the end of your stay, or you may not be welcome back.
14. If you are worried about picking up bad smells as you travel, packing loose fabric softener sheets inside of your suitcase can be a smart way to banish horrible aromas once and for all! Chances are, you already have these lying around the house.
15. If you are staying at a hotel where they charge you to use the Internet, you can very often use your own phone as a private, personal internet hotspot. Just check with your provider before you head out.
16. Very often your luggage comes equipped with clothing clips inside. You can use these clips to keep your toothbrush elevated and away from potential germs. It’s a great way to stay healthy and avoid getting sick while traveling!
17. During vacation we all try to avoid doing laundry, but sometimes it’s just gotta get done. If you find yourself with clothes to be washed, put a plastic bag over the sink’s drain and weigh it down with coins to make sure the sink basin fills up enough. Now you’re ready to wash!
With these helpful tips and tricks, your next hotel stay will be just a little bit more comfortable. They are definitely worth giving a try, don’t you think?
Share this helpful list with your friends below!