It’s no secret that the top tier of earners have some pretty fabulous places to call home, but even celebrities need a place to get away to every now and then. While most of us troll flight deals for a chance at a little taste of paradise, the other side tends to go about things a little bit differently. After all, if you find a place you really love, why just go there once?
Well, if you have the pocketbook to afford it, you don’t have to make a once-in-a-lifetime trip a singular event. Just ask these wealthy jet-setters because when they found a little bit of heaven in the form of an island, they made sure it was a place they could really call their own. And you know what they say: “It’s yours if you bought it.”
1. The Clooneys: As if the life of George and Amal couldn’t get any more dreamy, George had to go and surprise Amal with a 17th-century English manor tucked away on a private 5.5-acre island. The very well-manored gesture put George out $12 million. Probably not a big deal as its now one of 17 mansions owned by the couple.
2. David Bowie: The alt music legend called his private island off the coast of Mustique one of his favorite places in the world. There are even rumors Bowie’s ashes are spread amongst the palms here. Today, the late Bowie’s 5-bed villa known as “Mandalay” is available to rent for a cool $58k per month.
3. Naomi Campbell: For her 41st birthday, her loaded Russian Beau not only gifted Naomi her own private island, but contracted a famous Spanish architect to build an eye of Horus shaped-house that is 100% eco-friendly on it, too. Girl must have some magic Pharaohmones.
4. Steven Spielberg: It only makes sense that the creator of Jurassic Park should own two islands of undisclosed locations in a volcanic outcropping. Living somewhere off the coast of Portugal, it’s rumored that Spielberg has started to develop the islands. Let’s just hope he’s not planning on hatching any eggs here!
5. Oprah: While this is not exactly an entire island, a 43-acre beachfront plot on Orcas Island in Washington state is still pretty wow-worthy. Oprah bought this exclusive real estate in 2007, and with its unique architecture and rare finishings, it’s rumored to be an evergreen oasis.
6. Pamela Anderson: As a desperate take-me-back gesture, Tommy Lee bought his ex-wife a private island off the coast of Dubai. The tropical escape didn’t exactly mend their marriage, but Pam does still own island, though it remains undeveloped… kind of like her and Lee’s romance.
7. Beyoncé: What else should Queen Bey get for her 29th b-day but her own private island? Jay-Z dropped a cool $20 million on this 12.5-acre island in the Florida Keys. But this island is now old news compared to the new one he bought her in the Bahamas when Blue Ivy was born. Can we all put private islands on our baby shower registry?
8. Paul Allen: Though he sold this 292-acre island off the coast of Seattle in 2013, Mr. Allen was the one who originally developed the land. Well, kind of. The island still has no electricity, as it would cost about $3 million to bring power over, but it does boast an airstrip, a small log cabin, and endless natural beaches. Still sounds pretty fabulous.
9. John Lennon: It was the dream of John and Yoko to develop The Dorinish Island off the coast of Ireland. However, after Lennon’s death, Yoko decided to sell the tranquil island on John’s behalf and donate all the money to an Irish orphanage. Just Imagine.
10. Richard Branson: As the founder of the Virgin empire, he thought it only right that he should own one of the Virgin Islands. So, what is a guy to do but put a $100k offer down on a $6 million island? He was immediately rejected, but a year later when there was no sale, guess who got his Virgin island for a 97% discount.
11. Brangelina: Just a 15-minute helicopter ride outside of New York City there is a heart-shaped island owned by these two ex-lovebirds. The heart holds a 5,000-square foot mansion, as well as an additional guest house. Oh, and of course, a helicopter landing pad.
12. Mel Gibson: At 5,400-acres, Mago is the largest private island in the Pacific Ocean. After his success in The Passion of the Christ, Gibson bought the giant get-away off the coast of Fiji. Though he built a house on a small protrusion, most of the land remains untouched.
13. Eddie Murphy: A true lover of the land, Murphy bought Rooster Caye in 2007 for $15 million and has done absolutely nothing to it. His belief is that the island is perfect as it is, and any development would take away from its natural perfection. Amen.
14. Ricky Martin: In 2008, the king of Latin pop finally made his paradise dreams come true with the purchase of this island gem off the coast of Brazil. The deal included a giant mansion and plenty of space for his newborn twins to run around. Living la vida loca never looked so good.
15. Mick Jagger: Like Oprah, Jagger doesn’t exactly call the entire island of Mustique his own. However, he does own a giant, fully-staffed mansion on the island, which he rents out for $30,000 per week. Don’t worry though, he still owns another private beach next door for himself.
Weight Loss Groove
16. Diana Ross: The French Polynesian island Tiano was just recently put up for auction starting at $11.88 million in 2017 by the Motown queen herself. Not that selling the island is any indication that it isn’t a total paradise. Apparently, this place is so heavenly Ross even spent her honeymoon here.
Miss Penny Stocks
17. Robin Williams: It’s unclear if the late Robin Williams actually owned Pender Harbour himself, but it was confirmed that he took several private vacations there, especially close to the end of his life. Now, his family does own the island, and they are dedicated to keeping it in its natural state as a way to preserve Robin’s memory.
18. Marlon Brando: Like Diana Ross, Marlon Brando also fell in love with a French Polynesian Island called Tetiaroa after he filmed several films there. Today, the island is home to a luxury eco-friendly resort with a nightly rate starting at $12,400 — the going rate for a slice of paradise.
19. Dietrich Mateschitz: When you’re the founder of Red Bull you don’t just get wings, you also get private islands. In fact, it gives you the poshest private island in the world, also known as Laucala. An 18-hole golf course, hydroponic bays and 240 acres of farmland are just some of the unreal amenities on what is largely regarded as the “adult Disneyland.”
20. North West: You know, it’s cool and all being the kid of two mega-famous celebrities, but North was feeling a little indifferent of her position until she was gifted her own island. At just 17 months, Turtle Island off the coast of Australia became her newest sandbox. And yes, all the other kids (and adults) are a little jealous.
When she’s not on her private island, North West has to live somewhere; that somewhere is just as luxurious, too. In fact, all these island-owning celebs — and a handful of other A-listers — have some seriously awesome homes on continents.
1. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West: The couple first bought this mansion for $20 million in 2014, fast forward 2 years and $10 million in renovations, and you’ll find yourself what can only be described as a ridiculously lavish K-West palace.
Jamie McCarthy/Sotheby’s International Realty via Haute Living
2. Oprah Winfrey: This mogul’s rags-to-riches legend is widely known, but maybe less known is what she is spending all that hard-earned dough on. Well, this 23,000-square-foot mansion in Montecito, CA nicknamed “The Promised Land” is just an example an Oprah home… one of 6 examples.
Jason Merritt/via Nimvo
3. Beyoncé and Jay-Z: Queen Bey and J are certainly putting their real estate love on top with this $85 million modernist mansion. Their Beverly Hills estate is so large, the garage can hold 16 cars!
Tom Ford / Ben Bacal Realty via Daily Mail
4. Will and Jada Pinkett Smith: The couple that’s known for being a little bit avant-garde should obviously have a mega home to match their extravagant taste. That’s why the Smiths hired architect Stephen Samuel to build their 25,000-square-foot home in Malibu. For $20 million, you too can buy tennis and basketball courts, horse riding, and a private lake! What are you waiting for?
Pascal Le Segretain/Via Urban Splatter
5. Taylor Swift: To recreate that rural feeling she’s used to, the pop singer snatched this cool $17 million pad in Rhode Island. It’s so peaceful here, you can even hear the sound of the ocean waves crashing… though it probably helps they’re just outside the backdoor.
Frazer Harrison/Via Wondermika
6. Dwayne Johnson: The Rock is the highest paid actor in Hollywood, so this Fast And Furious star can afford to have things exactly the way he wants. A $4.5 million South Florida home with a gym, swimming pool, and a massive home theater — check!
Matt Winkelmeyer/ via Pursuitist / Trulia via Daily Mail
7. Rhianna: Located in her native home of Barbados, Rhi Rhi’s pad boasts incredible ocean views, infinity swimming pools, and 24-hour concierge service. Basically, the perfect place to do anything but work, work, work.
Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images for Fenty Beauty / Barbados Villas
8. Britney Spears: There certainly is nothing toxic about this pop princess’ mansion. The 62,000-square-foot estate looked in the Thousand Oaks area of CA has separate guest wings and apparently an improbable amount of hot tubs. It seems super size can get dull after all, as Brit sold in 2017 for a casual $7 million.
David Becker/Getty Images for dcp / PacificCoastNews.com via E! Online / via Curbed
9. LeBron James: This sweet $9 million mansion has been the home of LeBron ever since he joined the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003. Because of its aquarium, bowling alley, and private casino, we’re calling this home a slam dunk!
Slaven Vlasic/Getty Images for Sports Illustrated / YouTube/Air View Videos / Trulia via CNBC
10. Ellen DeGeneres and Portia De Rossi: The 5,100-square-foot modern mansion is impressive in and of itself, but really with an outdoor kitchen, hot tub, and vistas like this, who is even thinking about going inside? No wonder Ellen is always dancing.
Christopher Polk/Getty Images for PCA / via Variety / via Variety
11. Jennifer Lopez: You may know her as “Jenny from the block,” but this Latina queen is doing anything but roughing it in her 14,000-square-foot Bel-Air mansion. She bought the home from Sela Ward in 2016 for $28 million and has been entertaining friends with her vineyard, amphitheater, and infinity pool ever since.
Frederick M. Brown/ Hilton & Hyland via Cottages & Gardens
12. Matt Damon: When this Bourne Identity star wants to get away, he skips on down to downtown Miami. Really, with amenities like a pool house, wine cellar, and your best friend Ben Affleck living right down the street, what more could a guy ask for?
Michael Loccisano/ via Maison Valentina
13. David and Victoria Beckham: Who doesn’t love this British power couple? What with homes in London and the Cotswolds, what’s really worth a look is their former Beverly Hills Villa. Sold in 2018 for $33 million, this Beckham turf was clearly a spicy goal for anyone who could afford it.
Anthony Harvey/ TheRumorFiles / Instagram/davidbeckham
14. Johnny Depp: In 2004 Depp purchased the 45-acre Little Hall’s Pond Island in the Bahamas for a piddling $3.6 million. Thanks to his character research for Jack Sparrow, he can probably write the whole thing off.
Jeff Spicer/ via NextHome
15. Jane Fonda: This Hollywood legend is rumored to be sitting on a cool $200 million in the bank, so it seems obvious that her home has some fab to flaunt. Her former Beverly Hills mansion, which sold for $8.5 million in 2018, boasted a home gym, media room and swimming pool.
Alberto E. Rodriguez/ Trulia
16. John Krasinski and Emily Blunt: The world finally got a peek into this Hollywood power couple’s home life. In 2018, their Brooklyn townhome went up for sale for $6.5 million. With a 5,200-square-foot, 7-bedroom New York pad, it’s safe to say this duo isn’t doing too bad.
Alberto E. Rodriguez/ Sotheby’s International Realty via POPSUGAR
17. Steven Spielberg: It only makes sense that the most iconic director in Hollywood should have a home rich in cinematic history. Spielberg’s LA home once belonged to Cary Grant before he purchased it in the 1980s for $6.5 million.
Ian Gavan/ via Celebrity Homes / via Velvet Ropes
18. Barack and Michelle Obama: Certainly not as grandiose as their former residence at the White House, the Obama’s new 8,200-square-foot Washington, D.C. estate is still nothing to scoff at. With neighbors like Jeff Bezos living down the street, you know you’re not doing too bad.
Mark Wilson/ McFadden Group via Town & Country Magazine
19. Mark Zuckerberg: The man behind Facebook seems to prefer a more modest living situation. Though Zuckerberg’s Palo Alto home seems rather unflashy from the outside, the pool, pavilion, and spa certainly give the old place at least a bit of glam.
Taylor Hill/ via Gizbot
20. Bill Gates: The Microsoft founder bought a giant plot of land in the affluent neighborhood of Medina, Washington, in 1988. Seven years and $63 million later, “Xanadu 2.0” was born. Aside from its apparent grandeur, the Gates’ estate, quite fittingly, is fully equipped with some unbelievable interactive tech for your ultra-modern convenience.
Chesnot/ via Tuko.co.ke