Sure, most celebrities have flashy clothes, showy cars, and massive homes us ‘normal folk’ would get lost in – but they also have heartbreak. Yes, believe it or not, these stars lives aren’t as perfect as they seem.
With so many expensive belongings, it’s no surprise that when Hollywood’s hottest couples part ways, it isn’t free. As if divorce wasn’t hard enough, these outrageous settlements prove just how much love can cost. Here are the top 23 celebrity divorces, and their price tags, from the least expensive to the most.
23. Dr. Phil McGraw & Debbie Higgins: Yes, the man who gives relationship advice for a living got divorced too. After three years of marriage, his high school sweetheart left with about $1 million.
22. Alec Baldwin & Kim Bassinger: This break up broke hearts. After almost a decade together, Alec and Kim called it quits. Before settling for around $3 million, Kim also blocked Alec’s visitation rights to their only daughter – harsh.
21. Jesse William & Aryn Drake-Lee: This Hollywood divorce was reported to be much less dramatic than the TV drama series Jesse stars in, Grey’s Anatomy. No settlement was disclosed, however, it’s estimated to cost about $4 million altogether.
20. Johnny Depp & Amber Heard: Two years too many. After reports of Depp being abusive in the marriage, Heard had enough. Furthering suspicions, Amber promised some of the $6.8 million she received would go to charities supporting domestic violence.
19. Michael Strahan & Jean Muggli: Since these two decided to put a ring on it, yellow flags flew. The couple filed for divorce rather quickly and Muggli was awarded with $15 million.
18. Johnny Carson & Joanna Holland: Johnny and Joanna shared much success together, but their relationship is what ultimately failed them. Joanna walked away with $20 million.
17. Prince Charles & Princess Diana: This royal marriage proved that not all fairytales have happy endings. After alleged affairs, the couple parted ways. Diana racked in 17.5 million pounds, which translates to $22 million today.
16. Gwen Stefani & Gavin Rossdale: After 20 years together, there’s no doubt that this celebrity couple lasted longer than the average. Their settlement was estimated to cost about $25 million in the bitter end.
15. Donald & Ivana Trump: Tying with our last couple, the iconic Trump duo of the 80’s. Though their love didn’t last, Ivana left with a nice pile of cash when the case settled in 1992 for $25 million.
14. Reba McEntire & Narvel Blackstock: Reba and Narvel might get along better after their marriage than before. A signed prenup probably has something to do with it. We can safely assume they divided their $47.5 million assets fairly.
13. Paul McCartney & Heather Mills: After an over-the-top wedding in Ireland that cost $3 million, this last surviving Beatle spent even more money divorcing. In the end, Paul said goodbye and Heather said hello to $48.6 million.
12. James Cameron & Linda Hamilton: The Titanic wasn’t the only thing crushed during its filming. James was unfaithful to his wife while on set and the couple split like the ship. At least Linda floated on with $50 million.
11. Kenny & Marianne Rogers: Country singer Kenny Rogers definitely didn’t know when to fold ‘em with his fourth wife, Marianne Gordon. This mistake cost him more than any poker game – specifically $60 million.
10. Heidi Klum & Seal: With smiles like these, it’s hard to believe this relationship was anything but a kiss from a rose. Heartbroken ex-wife, Heidi, settled for $70 million when all was said and done.
9. Harrison Ford & Melissa Mathison: The force wasn’t strong enough between Ford and Mathison to last. Without a prenup in place, Melissa took $118 million of Harrison’s cash to outer space nearly twenty years ago.
8. Neil Diamond & Marcia Murphey: A quarter century and two children later, Murphey filed for divorce from Neil, leaving her with a whopping $150 million. Neil later said that Marcia was, “worth every penny.” Bah, bah, bah!
7. Samathur Li-kan & Florence Tsang-Chiu-wing: One of Hong Kong’s billionaires, Samathur Li-Kan, divorced his wife when she wouldn’t get an abortion. The judge then ordered Samathur to pay his ex-wife $154 million, rightfully so.
6. Michael & Juanita Jordan: Though both sides wanted to make it work, this relationship was no slam dunk. Part of the settlement granted Juanita not only $168 million, but their mansion and custody of their children. She shoots, she scores.
5. Arnold Schwarzenegger & Maria Shriver: After news broke of Arnold’s affair with their housekeeper, an upset Maria promised she wouldn’t be back. Shriver ended up with $375 million and custody of their kids.
4. Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt: The infamous “Brangelina” recently decided to end their marriage, and though they have yet to seal the deal, amounts as large as $400 million are up in the air.
3. Mel Gibson & Robyn Moore: Mel’s muddy track record finally caught up with him when Robyn filed for divorce in 2006. Lasting almost 30 years, who would’ve thought they needed a prenup? That mistake alone led to Robyn receiving half of Mel’s fortune of $425 million.
2. Tiger Woods & Elin Nordegren: Elin Nordegren had more than a dozen reasons to be angry with cheating husband, Tiger Woods. Elin left with $750 million, making it the second highest divorce settlement on our list.
1. Adnan Khashoggi & Soraya Khashoggi: Saudi Arabian billionaire, Adnan Khashoggi, was once one of the richest men in the world. Who knew marrying Soraya would give him a run for his money? She left with $874 million, making this the #1 most expensive split!
Yes, Hollywood appears to have it all together, but these failed relationships show that celebrities are like the rest of us – just with way more cash to spare.